RGU student follows in footsteps of alumni to become a Saltire Foundation Scholar

A third year computing student at Robert Gordon University (RGU) has become one of 100 young people in Scotland to be awarded a place on a world-class business leadership programme.
Katie Bell (21), who is studying for a degree in Computing for Graphics and Animation, follows in the footsteps of RGU alumni Kitty Gordon in being offered a place on the Saltire Foundation’s Undergraduate Internship Programme.

She will work with Wood Group in Houston for eight weeks over the summer, undertaking a rotational internship across the company’s business functions.

The 2013 programme, which this year welcomed more students than ever, will help participants realise their potential through challenging work experience, an increased knowledge of the commercial world, a global perspective and superb networking opportunities.

Internships are sourced in a variety of fields such as engineering, science, marketing, management, finance, arts management, video production, law, business development, tourism and hospitality and international relations.

“I’m very excited to be given this opportunity,” Katie said. “Having lived in Ohio as part of a gap year before university, I know that I absolutely love the States and working with an oil company makes it everything I could have asked for. If I could have chosen my perfect placement at the start of this process it would have been this.”

She added: “The experience in Wood Group will be priceless. Putting the techniques and skills I have learned over the past three years will be great, and I’m really looking forward to living in the second largest city in America as there will be so much to do. I want to make the most of the placement, and also experience the culture in Texas as much as I can.”

Katie, who is originally from Kirriemuir, explained: “During the placement I will be maintaining the Wood Group intranet and potentially doing some programming. This is something I have studied quite intensely for the past three years and have enjoyed. Getting to do this is a real-world scenario will give me invaluable insight and aid me tremendously in future projects.”

Chief Executive of the Saltire Foundation, Sandy Kennedy, said: “Scotland has always sent people out into the world to seek opportunities and this wonderful 2013 intake for our Undergraduate Programme is following in a long and proud tradition.

“They have been selected from among the most able, talented and ambitious young people that Scotland has to offer and I am sure that they will do their country and themselves proud as they set out into the international arena, learning new skills and gaining first-class business experience that they can bring back to Scotland.”