Student Placement Showcase – Aberdeen Drilling School – Christine Gordon

Over the next few weeks, we will be talking to some of our students who have recently completed placements with various companies throughout the UK and abroad, to get their thoughts and experiences on what to expect whilst out on placement.

This week we speak to  Christine Gordon who is currently in her fourth year of study in BSc (Hons) Multimedia Development.

Name of Company: Aberdeen Drilling School
Duration of experience: 4 months summer placement with continued part-time work during 4th year.

Q:  What was your key role and responsibilities?
A:  My role was Graphics and Media Designer; I was responsible for the redesign of training courses within the company.

Q: What did an average days work consist of?
A:  My work days consisted of creating graphics and animations for technical information within the current training courses, to allow a visual explanation to the students of how different processes work in the oil and gas industry and allow for an easier understanding of complex information. I also communicated with different staff members on a day to day basis to learn about technical information to create the suitable graphics or animations required. I used software packages such as Flash, Illustrator, Photoshop and Articulate and we are currently looking at 3D packages.

Q:What was the key highlights of your placement?
A: My key highlight was being able to apply the skills and knowledge I have learned at university and apply them to the industry with help and support from experienced staff which has allowed me to develop and improve my skills a great deal and build my confidence.

Q:What are your personal thoughts on the placement?
A: The placement has been extremely beneficial as it has allowed me to improve skills within different software packages and it has given me a clearer understanding of the industry. Overall, it has been a worthwhile and enjoyable experience.

Q: What would be your advice to other students thinking of doing a placement?
A: I would encourage students to consider a placement between studies as it allows you the opportunity to build your knowledge and skills as well as being a great opportunity to gain experience and build up your CV which may effectively help when looking for employment at the end of your course. Also, there may also be an opportunity for continued part-time work which I was lucky to be offered. I have also been given a great opportunity, where I am designing my honours project for the company. This experience has opened many doors for me and I would urge other students to definitely consider the opportunity.