Student Placement Showcase – Intrelate – Ross Mclean

Over the next few weeks, we will be talking to some of our students who have recently completed placements with various companies throughout the UK and abroad, to get their thoughts and experiences on what to expect whilst out on placement.

This week we speak to Ross McLean who is currently in his 3rd year and studying Business Information Systems.

Q:  What was your key role and responsibilities?
A: I built a suite of reports using the SQL Server Reporting Services functionality.

Q: What did an average days work consist of?
A: I used the SQL Server Data Tools or Report Builder software to construct these reports to show a variety of information to the user that ran the report e.g. Cost of absenteeism, a detailed list of the new starts to the company or a list of who last logged into the system. I was given a list of reports that had to be built and I sat down, looked at the product called Carista that the reports would be built upon and used the backend that was based upon SQL Server.

Q:What was the key highlights of your placement?
A: I got valuable experience from learning how to build to spec and use/update documentation that was used company wide in order to keep future products to the same standard. Also seeing my work implemented in a product that was distributed internationally was very rewarding.

Q:What are your personal thoughts on the placement?
A: The placement was good however working on one project like I did can get a bit dull, so it’s advised to power through your project then you’ll be tasked to do other things and gain even more experience.

Q: What would be your advice to other students thinking of doing a placement?
A: Don’t necessarily look for placements in Aberdeen, it doesn’t matter where you go as you’ll be paid for placement and it’s usually more than enough to cover the living costs in whatever city you’re staying in.