Staff Introduction – Ian Harris – Teaching Assistant

Hello, I’m Ian Harris. These introductions seem to open with the date I started at RGU, it just depends which start date you’d like?

The first time I was at RGU, was in 1996 as a Computer Science undergrad at the School Hill building. I graduated in 2001, long before CSDM moved to this great new facility at Riverside. Out in the commercial world I’ve held several IT posts at engineering and oil companies in Aberdeen. Cutting my teeth on helpdesk and desktop support, through to enterprise infrastructure, and then to systems analysis at software development companies.

In 2013 I returned to RGU to study the new Information and Network Security MSc. Leaving paid work to study full time was not an easy choice, but following graduation I was fortunate to secure a KTP (Knowledge Transfer Partnership) associate post through RGU. As a 2 year software development project; an interesting new challenge with future prospects, it would have provided me with some great training and personal development opportunities.

But then in August 2015, before I could finish the KTP Project, I was offered an opportunity to return to RGU once again as a Teaching Assistant in Computer Networks and Security. This will involve helping in the practical labs with demonstrations and hopefully answering any difficult questions that might crop up. In the future I hope to complete a Ph.D. and progress on to lecturing and research work in the cyber-security field.