Student Placement Experience – Equal Adventure Developments – Jemma Tansley

In our fourth post in our Student Placement Experience series, we speak to Jemma Tansley who is currently in her 3rd year of study in Computing for Graphics & Animation.

Name of Company: Equal Adventure Developments Ltd
Duration of experience: 8 weeks

Q: What was your key role and responsibilities?

A: I was appointed the main role of ‘Technical & Digital Media Assistant’ while on my placement. This role came with several tasks. A day-today example would be ensuring that colleagues could log onto the company’s intranet, and resolving any issues they may have. Less frequent tasks involved supplying the organisation with website design ideas, giving assistance in coding, and helping develop an online manual database. I would summarise my main role and responsibility as the technical backbone of the company.

Q: What did an average days work consist of?

A: An average day normally was as follows: Come into the office and go into the meeting room for a daily 9am meeting. This would bring up any high priority actions or tasks which needed completing immediately. Each colleague would then deal with their own tasks and address a higher member of staff if assistance was required. Once these tasks were completed, or if there were no immediate changes, we would continue with our day-to-day tasks and projects/deliverables. I had several projects while on placement, and throughout my stay I would swap through them as to not lay on one project for too long. This would only change if, again, the status was changed to immediate. One of my bigger projects was producing videos and step-to-step guides of assembling products, which involved a lot of photography (and then photo manipulation in Photoshop). I also had several javaScript tasks, html website coding deliverables, designing, and pushed forward the social media platform of the company.

Q: What was the key highlights of your placement?

A: My key highlight was definitely working with a real client who had a deadline for the finished product. I had to liaise with colleagues over the phone in different areas of the country to agree on design specifications and coding requirements. We then progressed this into a full project and listed the deliverables, then worked on these individually. Once the website was completed, I had to represent the company in a face-to-face meeting with the client to present the finished product.

Q: What are your personal thoughts on the placement?

A: I definitely think that a placement is worthwhile as it gives you a real experience on what a working environment in this field can be like. I thought my placement was very stressful at times in terms of deliverables and deadlines, but this helped me even further with organizing my work. I also felt that it helped me to be more confident as I had to communicate daily with staff and clients to make sure that the requirements for each product was agreed between the two.

Q: What would be your advice to other students thinking of doing a placement?

A: Don’t hold back and wait for a placement to come across to you. Go out and think outside the box of where an opportunity could be lying. Luckily, my placement was offered through me by a contact I already had. It is possible that a friend or relative may have a contact which can offer you a similar opportunity. However, this doesn’t mean to only rely on friends and family, make sure to also keep an eye online for interesting offers!