Student Placement Experience – REWDT – Piotr Starzec

Over the next few weeks, we will be talking to some of our students who have recently completed placements with various companies throughout the UK and abroad, to get their thoughts and experiences on what to expect whilst out on placement.

Following on from our 2nd post with Michael Wright, this week we chat with Piotr Starzec.

Name of Company: Rousay, Eglisay and Wyre Development Trust
Duration of experience: 7 weeks

Q: What was your key role and responsibilities?

A: I was tasked with the creation of building a new website for REWDT charity which would help them in informing people on the island about what the company is doing. The URL to the website is:

Q: What did an average days work consist of?
A: The time was divided in to 3 sections: first 2 weeks I’ve spend on Orkney doing a requirements gathering, designs and front-end. Then the next 4 weeks I’ve spend in Aberdeen working at home/university working on back-end. Last week I went back to Orkney to “hand in” the website, polish it, fix any bugs and add last features.

Q: What was the key highlights of your placement?

A: Working with a live client, gathering requirements, building a complete website from start to an end. I also enjoyed the travelling upto Orkney as well.

Q: What are your personal thoughts on the placement?>

A: It was really nice. I’ve gained a lot of experience even though I was working alone. Much of what I learnt during my placement was done through study and practise. Also I love to travel so it was an amazing opportunity to visit Orkney. I also enjoyed cycling across few islands during my onsite trips.

Q:What would be your advice to other students thinking of doing a placement? 

A: If you are looking for a web development placement or similar, from my own experience I would say that doing an “individual placement” was extremely useful experience. It has opened up a few paths for me to further my career and skills.