Computing Society Ball 2019

Computing Society Spring Ball“All work and no play makes a man a slave”.

We sure are an academic-centric society, and we sure are stereotyped as a people-hating, spectacle bearing bunch, but we love to enjoy and socialise as well.

Throughout the academic year, the RGU Computing Society organises and hosts several academic events including RGUHack, Local Hack Day, academic workshops and so on. But also, we organise pub crawls, pub quizzes and the annual Computing Society Ball.

This year, the annual ball was hosted on the 1st of March. 57 people (and one good boi) turned up for it, and why wouldn’t they- it was a Friday! Double Tree by Hilton Hotel Aberdeen Treetops was chosen as the venue after a lot of discussions within the Computing Society’s committee. And on the 2nd of March we were sure that the decision was a good one. Excellent food, traditionally-modern décor, and warm hospitable staff were all that were needed to make this once-a-year event a very memorable one.

With all the lip-smacking (calorie-rich) food, we definitely needed to burn those calories off as well. And it’s a shame if it’s a social event of such kind without people swerving and moving to a Ceilidh band. After all, it’s Scotland. I had always only read and heard about it from the friends that I made here. I never had the opportunity to witness it in front of me – until the day of the Ball. As an international student here, I can put up banners saying that people doing the Ceilidh was one of the best things that I have ever laid my eyes on. The band, Reel of Fortune, did complete justice to it. Talented as their band was, they just added the cherry to the already delicious cheesecake.

Coming from India, I can say that we have over 50 folk dances, and I have had the opportunity to see each one of them. But this did not make the Ceilidh any less interesting for me at all. I was surprised by the fact that it somewhat resembles the folk dance of the Indian state of Gujarat – the Garba. As bad as I am at Garba, I did not try my moves in Ceilidh. But now that think about it, I regret that decision.

The food was a new experience for me altogether. The chicken liver pâté gave me memories. I remember the waiter serving it to us, and I had absolutely no idea what that was. I asked my friend about it. With the way it was described to me, it just gave me memories of a dish back home – the Galouti Kebab. But that was only when I put the pâté in my mouth that it made me forget everything about the Galouti Kebab. I thank the Belgians for coming up with it, and the Scots for feeding me it that day.

There was a raffle in the ball that fundraised for the Archie Foundation- a charity for children’s healthcare. It turned out to be really successful. The lucky winners had some amazing prizes handed out to them – from Amazon Fire tablets to drones and whisky (which, surprisingly, I was lucky enough to win).

But there was more to the night after midnight. The people took the ball to the Underground Klub in Union Street. I wish I could write about how it was in the Underground, but if I do so, I would have to add a disclaimer saying that the content below is a work of fiction. I wish I could have attended that, but unfortunately, (modestly saying) the wine in the ball with the dinner had already served me enough.

As an international student, having the opportunity to attend a ball such as this, and also playing is role in organising it, I learnt really important things. It was fun, new, and memorable for me. There was a lot to delve into. The kilt, the food, the Ceilidh, the accent (God give me wisdom to fathom it), everything was as interesting as it could get. Honestly, and as cliché as it is to write this about an event, I cannot wait for it next year.

Maybe I’ll try the Ceilidh and wear a kilt. I want to know how it feels.

Amartya Yadav
RGU Computing Society Secretary