Due to the cost as well as the increased risk of loss and possible damage associated with this equipment, the quad copters are only available for hire after comprehensive training sessions. Training sessions are available from staff in N425. These sessions will teach you how to correctly operate and setup the quad copter and transmitter. These sessions will include up to 3 hours of flying time, spread over a 5 day period.
Upon completion of these sessions, you will be asked to complete a final assessment before any hire will be permitted. Whilst the quad copters are great fun to fly, you should consider how you plan to use it and what purpose it will serve in your project/coursework in advance prior to asking for a training session. Please note: The School reserves the right to refuse hire even if you have completed the training sessions if we deem the purpose of hire dangerous or unsuitable.
When you fly a drone in the UK it is your responsibility to be aware of the rules that are in place to keep everyone safe.
Follow these simple steps to make sure you are flying safely and legally.
- Make sure you can see your drone at all times and don’t fly higher than 400 feet
- Always keep your drone away from aircraft, helicopters, airports and airfields
- Use your common sense and fly safely; you could be prosecuted if you don’t.
Drones fitted with cameras must not be flown:
- Within 50 metres of people, vehicles, buildings or structures
- Over congested areas or large gatherings such as concerts and sports events
Further information regarding the flight of Drones can be found at: